Friday, December 11, 2015

Article Notes: Trust me, I'm a doctor.

http://www.core77.com/posts/18204/Thinking-of-doing-a-design-PhD-Trust-me-Im-a-doctor

-
Master’s still considered the terminal degree in design

4 Common Reasons suggested
  1. I don’t know what I want to do for a career yet. 
  2. I’m really interested in this subject and want to go deeper with it 
  3. Nobody has researched/written about this area yet
  4. I want to do a PhD, but I don’t like writing much

-
"A PhD is a dangerous drug for procrastinators."

-
be prepared to be very bored by it after five years.

-
you will find many texts and ideas almost identical to your own.

"I have learned more about the creative process through writing than I have through designing and the act of putting your thoughts down in a structured text does a lot to structure your thinking."
This fits perfectly with my hypothesis that english majors are amongst the most interesting and compelling designers. They learn how to think through language and can bring that into design. The two are very related.

-
"As learners we are so used to deferring to a higher authority on a subject it is rather eerie when you realise you are the authority on the subject."

"understanding those things in your own head is different from explaining them carefully to others.” 

I can absolutely relate to that...

No comments:

Post a Comment